[Club2] Freitag, 11.30, Zuse

Norbert Schirmer norbert.schirmer at web.de
Mon Jul 3 15:07:36 CEST 2006

Freitag, 7.7. 11.30.  (Zuse, 01.11.018):

Benoit Montagu:

A type system for safe destructive updates

Abstract:

Usually functional languages cannot deal with destructive updates: they
always create new data, whereas it would be sometimes better to
overwrite it. It is for instance particularly true when you are working
with arrays. We will present a type system that can decide statically
whether a destructive update is safe, ie. keeps the referential
transparency property. We will see the benefits it has in practice and
the problems that appears when dealing with higher order functions and
polymorphism.

   Norbert