[isabelle-dev] binary arithmetic optimization

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Wed Feb 13 09:56:23 CET 2008

Dear Brian,

> Today I modified a copy of Isabelle/HOL in this way; everything seems to
> work just fine, and binary arithmetic works faster. However, code
> generation will need a bit more work, and the HOL/Word library will need
> some non-trivial modifications.

The issue with code generation is not that complex as it seems to be;
essentially, three functions have to be adapted in
Tools/code/code_target.ML:

implode_numeral
pretty_numeral
add_pretty_numeral

All three are parametrized over the constants which encode numerals;
these parameters have to be adjusted (and also their interpretation in
implode_numeral).  What remains is to asjust "setup {*
add_pretty_numeral ...*}" occurences in HOL theories (AFAIR,
Library/Code_Index.thy, Library/Code_Integer.thy,
Library/Efficient_Nat.thy).

Hope this helps,
	Florian