[isabelle-dev] Bad binding warnings

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Jul 14 21:20:34 CEST 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:

> Working with the development version, I have been noticing warnings "...
> Bad binding: ...". Is there now a stricter guideline using or creating
> bindings that Isabelle's developers should follow?

Not "now", they have been there for several years already.  Formal
entities within the term language need to observe proper identifier
syntax.  I cannot quote the many problems with totally arbitrary names on
the spot, because it is such a long time ago when this was still done
routinely (like global constants "op +" or "op *").

Recently I've noticed that internal "fixes" where accidentally omitted
from the binding check.  There were also some incidents and genuine
programming errors introduced due to the absence of a proper check.

For example, Variable.add_fixes with type variables 'a 'b etc. simply does
not make any sense.  Now you get a warning at least.  See also the
somewhat compact explanation of type variables vs. term variables in in
the implementation manual section 5.1.

 	Makarius