[isabelle-dev] PG 3.x vs. 4.x settings

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Dec 14 13:56:21 CET 2012

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> I compiled 4.2, no problem.

You mean byte-compiled .el -> .elc?  This causes a lock-in to a particular
Emacs version, so it reduces chances of users being able to run it.

I used to have the principle that even in the Isabelle.app bundle the
included Emacs.app is merely a sensible default that users may override.
On Linux, Emacs is not bundled at all, so one needs to expect a certain
range of GNU Emacs 23 .. 24 versions, probably not Emacs 22 anymore.

Shipping byte-compiled files works against that.  The Isabelle "component"
for Proof General needs to work with the variety of situations uniformly
-- we don't have component variants.  Whatever is done in the component
wrapper scripts, it needs to work without the "make" tool, which is absent
on the majority of systems now.

 	Makarius