[isabelle-dev] push request (Sublist.thy)

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Dec 17 20:03:38 CET 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012, Dmitriy Traytel wrote:

> I use Mercurial 2.2 and after pushing ed6b40d15d1c the attached error
> log was generated.

Rewind to the start of the thread ...

According to http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/WhatsNew 2.2 introduces
"parsers: incrementally parse the revlog index in C", see also
http://selenic.com/hg/annotate/2cdd7e63211b/mercurial/parsers.c which
looks like the place where these guys started it.

Later there are several amendments, just search "parsers" or "refcount" in
the WhatsNew.  In 2.2.2 there is even "parsers: fix refcount bug on
corrupt index", which is probably this changeset
http://selenic.com/hg/rev/b767382a8675

So this C module might or might not be an explanation for the
instabilities.

The machines at TUM have mostly Mercurial 2.1.1 or 2.4 now, notably
macbroy2[0-9].  2.1.1 is before the critical parsers.c, and 2.4 after
several fixes of it, but it is a "feature release".  After release x.y
there is usually a x.y.1 and x.y.2 to consolidate.

Ubuntu 12.10 is close to the critical point, but I see already 2.2.2-1 at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mercurial&searchon=names&suite=quantal&section=all
so an update of Ubuntu might help.

My Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS has the consolidated 2.0.2 before the fatal C
module.

My current MacPorts snapshot has the consolidated 1.9.2 even before that.

I am not sure if we are already at the point to conclude anything. Somehow
implicit sliding updates to "latest" versions could be too risky.  The
curse of being always up-to-date.

Is this the point to go back to hand-compiled Mercurial of some x.y.2
version?  It was actually quite easy when we started with Mercurial 1.x,
before it became generally available on the usual OS distributions.

 	Makarius