[isabelle-dev] Repository Trouble

Alexander Krauss krauss at in.tum.de
Thu Dec 20 21:30:51 CET 2012

On 12/20/2012 12:20 AM, Alexander Krauss wrote:
> I am now writing this up for the hg mailing list, since we now may
> have enough information to get help tracking it down...

I posted a question here:
http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2012-December/044783.html

and there are some answers, which suggest that NFS or other physical
issues are responsible for this.

On 12/20/2012 06:22 PM, Makarius wrote:
>> I just had a long phone call with Franz Huber, the local system
>> admin person. All the macbroy20..29 and lxlabbroyX machines
>> involved here use the same OpenSuse 12.2 with that hg 2.4. So just
>> empirically that looks like the problem -- breakdowns started
>> approx. at the time of update of several of these machines.

This is another possibility, different from the speculations by
Sullivan/Mackall above.

Have there been any changes in the NFS infrastructure this year? Any
changes in the underlying hardware?

>> He will tell me later about further moves.
>
> The current situation is this:
>
> (1) lxbroy10 is the recommend ssh login server for pushes right now,
> since it uses a completely different Mercurial installation on Linux
> version. You merely need to reconfigure your .hg/hgrc like this:
>
> [paths] default =
> ssh://wenzelm@lxbroy10//home/isabelle-repository/repos/isabelle
>
> in analogy to usual host switching, using your own login name, of
> course.

This is a good idea in any case. But if the problem no longer occurs
then, it does not necessarily mean that the Mercurial version is the
cause of the problem. It can also be a different version of the
kernel/NFS client etc.

> (2) The local sysadmins are working on replacement of the Mercurial
> 2.4 from SuSE 12.2, which is potentially the cause problems here.

Replacement with what? Going to an older version is no solution in the
long run. The changes between 2.4 and 2.4.1 do not look relevant to me.

> (3) We watch closely what happens, and think again later.

Yes. Anybody who notices anything unusual, please report it on this thread.

(4) From
http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2012-December/044784.html:

Brian O'Sullivan wrote:
> I have a few questions around your report.
>
> What is your NFS server setup? What OS is the server running, and
> what version of NFS and transport are you using?

@Franz: can you give answers to these questions?

Alex