[isabelle-dev] Redundant equations in function declarations

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 09:08:25 CEST 2012

Thank you for investigating. I have been waiting for Alex to present his view.

Naturally, the current treatment resembles ML's.

I continue to believe that reference to IDEs is a distraction. I've seen several instances now (in student work) of nonsensical function definitions caused by putting a “default" case too early in the function definition. Anybody who reads the resulting proof document could easily misinterpret what has been proved. There is no reason to allow a specification to contain material that may contradict another part of the specification. It is precisely analogous to allowing, while ignoring, redefinitions of constants.

Larry