[isabelle-dev] Future and maintainance of ~isabelle/contrib_devel at TUM NFS

Alexander Krauss krauss at in.tum.de
Thu Jun 28 01:00:44 CEST 2012

On 06/27/2012 06:48 PM, Makarius wrote:
> The answer also depends on the HTTP technology. E.g. on CTAN you see
> plain directory views by default, and then can ask to download zip etc.
> which might be dynamically generated on the spot, or just taken
> statically from somewhere in the backhand. Another example is hg, where
> the archived formats can be requested dynamically, somehow in Python.

I wouldn't want to put much magic into the web server setup, which is
much harder to maintain than a few standalone scripts. In particular, it
seems that there is no simple ready-to-use solution out there. Of course
one can hack everything using cgi of some form, but I don't think it's
worth it.

> The open directory layout might have a slight advantage here, because we
> could put etc/nonfree files into each nonfree package, and the HTTP
> service script we observe that accordingly.

Simple Alternative via directories:

   /home/isabelle/components/public
     contains tarballs of freely distributable components
     (served via http)

   /home/isabelle/components/nonfree
     contains tarballs of non-free components
     (not available publicly, only via TUM NFS)

  /home/isabelle/contrib
     automatically maintained via script: contains untarred versions of
     the above (both public and nonfree)

Alex