[isabelle-dev] Nominal and FinFuns from the AFP

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu May 31 16:10:13 CEST 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012, Brian Huffman wrote:

>>> I tried to implement the new syntax for FinFuns with bundles and Brian's
>>> notation attribute
>>> (https://mailmanbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pipermail/isabelle-dev/2012-April/002585.html),
>>> but it was not satisfactory.
>>

>> I did not have time yet to look more closely at that.
>>
>> Note that notation is based on "syntax declarations" of the local theory
>> infrastructure, which is slightly different from what you have in
>> attributes.  So notation as attributes is a bad idea.
>
> Makarius:
>
> If you want to call one of my ideas a "bad idea", then I hope you have
> a better justification for this statement.

Formally, if you look what notation does, it is not like an attribute, but
a syntax declaration.  This can be seen immediately in the sources.

What is not immediately visible is the long history around it, but quite a
bit of it was discussed even on this mailing list in the past few years.
Right now I don't have time to sort out the details, but I also don't want
to waste time repeating mistakes from the past that are already known by
the veterans on these mechanisms.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with bad ideas.  Most of my own ideas are
bad. One merely needs to sort them out and isolate the good ones from the
many ideas that are floating around.

 	Makarius