[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Spell-checker support

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Apr 14 11:31:21 CEST 2014

*** Prover IDE -- Isabelle/Scala/jEdit ***

* Spell-checker support for document text, comments etc.

This refers to Isabelle/282f3b06fa86.

Spell-checker support was one of the many missing bits over the years.
Last Friday afternoon I intended to spend a few hours to integrate one of
the existing jEdit plugins, but it turned out a few days to make it more
than half finished (using the plugins only to get some general ideas).

The current state is already somewhat usable, but a few details are still
missing.  Early adopters may already take a look, and point out further
omissions.

The underlying JOrtho 1.0 engine (which is relatively new) is a bit funny.
Its Java sources are full of spelling mistakes, so maybe the author is
just dyslexic and wants to help himself.  Moreover he uses the largest
possible dictionary by default (generated from Wiktionary), but a good
spell-checker needs to be somewhere in between too short vs. too long word
lists.

The present Isabelle component jortho-1.0-1 bundles the very good English
dictionaries from http://wordlist.sourceforge.net/ which are also used in
GNU Aspell, Hunspell (Open Office, Firefox) etc.  I might need to revisit
that again, to make sure that the parameters for English variants come out
exactly as normally used in aspell.

Last week I did not know anything about spell-checking yet, and I need to
continue this a bit more, until it reaches production quality, and
starting up Emacs for old-fashioned ispell can be avoided altogether.

 	Makarius