[isabelle-dev] Sum of Squares server down?

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Sep 22 16:52:36 CEST 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> I have installed a copy of the software locally. Would be worth making
> this a component?

This canonical question has come up each time, after someone spent
significant time with the NEOS/CSDP server. I have started to experiment
myself with the binary downloads from https://projects.coin-or.org/Csdp

So far it works fine, but I need to do more multi-platform tests.

Despite the warnings on the download site about unoptimized executables,
they are *much* faster than the server. So what is the purpose of the
server anyway?  It did not only waste our time in the maintenance, but
also time of potential users.

So the NEOS/CSDP server setup looks like a canonical candidate for
deletion.  That would also allow to remove Python from the Windows/Cygwin
app bundle and save many MBs of disk space.

 	Makarius