[isabelle-dev] Remaining uses of defer_recdef?

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Sat Jun 6 15:53:43 CEST 2015

The reason for the continued existence of recdef is that function can cause a
combinatorial explosion the way it compiles pattern matches. I just tried
Cooper.thy and changing one of the recdefs to function makes Isabelle go blue
(purple) in the face until one gives up. Hardware alone will not solve that one.

Now one could argue that since we need recdef, we should also keep the special
variant defer_recdef, but if nobody speaks up for it, we don't have a proof that
we really need it and it should go.

Tobias