[isabelle-dev] Remaining uses of show_brackets

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Oct 11 10:13:31 CEST 2024

On 10/10/2024 22:48, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
> Oh, that one. I quite forgot it was there. But it’s occasionally useful when you aren’t sure about operator precedences. Is it hard to support?

It is a totally adhoc feature from 30 years ago, and incorrect in certain
situations.

Can you try if the new mixfix markup works sufficiently well to replace this
idea? The new scheme works for parsed input source and pretty-printed output.
You just C-hover over the text, and get feedback about its inner-syntax structure.

People might call that a "parse tree", but it is better than a raw parse tree
(which contains a lot of irrelevant information).

	Makarius