[isabelle-dev] getting development version to work (was: newbie Q's getting for development version working on Windows and on Fedora 17.)

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Dec 10 13:23:51 CET 2012

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> Dear Aaron,
>
> there is indeed a simple fix. There is a prebundled Isabelle component for
> Java, which can be installed (together with all other required components)
> via
>
>  isabelle components -a
>
> from a command line.

The missing bit of information for Aaron is that "command line" for
Windows means a Cygwin terminal running bash.  Moreover, the Cygwin
Mercurial is required, not the native Windows one.

I will update the official README_REPOSITORY shortly, to cover Windows as
well.

> See also
>
> https://isabelle.in.tum.de/community/Working_with_the_repository_version_of_Isabelle

I still don't understand the purpose of this slightly divergent shadow
version of some parts of README_REPOSITORY.  With the poor version control
of Mediawiki, it is even unclear who wrote what when.

> Remark: Finding the right combination of packages (Poly/ML, Java, Scala,
> ...) to make Isabelle run is delicate (some even call it an arcane
> discipline ;)). That is why everything was bundled into Isabelle
> components, which save the user a lot of work.

The user will get a selection of the components bundled, without dynamic
download (same as in Isabelle2012).  People hooked on the repository (not
users) get them via isabelle components as above, which is new since
summer 2012.

If there is anything wrong with these components, please report here.
They are intended to run everywhere.  JDK turns out a bit fat as universal
component, and it will be stripped for final release, but not for
repository use.

>>      Launch4j - "This application was configured to use bundled JRE but
>> the runtime is missing or corrupted."

The Isabelle.exe launcher is not covered by the dynamic component provider
service of the Isabelle repository.  If you have Cygwin bash running, the
toplevel "Isabelle" script will approximately do the same, or you use
"isabelle jedit" directly, as most people who are used to command-line
usage.

 	Makarius