[isabelle-dev] newbie Q's getting for development version working on Windows and on Fedora 17.

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Dec 10 13:29:51 CET 2012

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012, Aaron Gray wrote:

> I could not find a Cygwin Java 1.7 build anywhere and have asked on the
> Cygwin mailing list, but not received a reply yet.

I think it does not exist.  Very early in the Isabelle/Scala/JVM project,
I was keen to see Cygwin JDK for Windows, to make it all look like POSIX
and all platforms.  After some years, I am glad that native Windows JDK
works so well, compared to the other platforms.

Cygwin remains important for add-on tools, and uniform
Isabelle_System.bash functionality both in Isabelle/ML and Isabelle/Scala.
On the other hand, we might switch to native MinGW Poly/ML at some point,
but not for the coming release.  (Last year it looked like Cygwin would no
longer support Poly/ML with threads and sockets, but this year it seems to
have spontaneously recovered.)

> On Fedora 17 the Isabelle/HOL stable release ran okay after installing
> Java-1.7.0-openjdk for i686.

OpenJDK always means gambling.  The early 1.6.x versions where unusable.
1.7.x ones are much better, but I am not testing this systemacally.  It is
already difficult to test just one Oracle version on all platforms
(Windows, Linux, Mac OS X).

If you observe any problems with the Isabelle jdk component, please report
here.

 	Makarius