[isabelle-dev] getting development version to work

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Dec 11 17:33:45 CET 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012, Aaron Gray wrote:

> I have managed to get the mercurial repository based development version
> working on Ubuntu 12.10 LTE. It did require installing a CPAN module :-
>
>    perl -MCPAN -e 'install LWP::Simple'

That is basically the same dependency that is already mentioned on the
regular Isabelle download page: "libwww" in most Linux distributions.  I
was half aware of it, but unsure if I should add more explanations in the
README_REPOSITORY or avoid that dependency by shuffling perl / wget / curl.

> Also the repository seems to be missing the documents in the 'docs'
> directory.

You can use "isabelle build_doc -a" to rebuild the docs, one that
everything is up and running.  The docs need a lot of latexextra stuff,
though.

> I cannot get the 'isabelle components -a' to work on Fedora 17, it just
> returns doing nothing at all with no message.

Lars has already pointed out "isabelle components -l".  The "system"
manual also explains that command, but it poses a bootstrap problem here.

Lets see how you get on.  We shall take the opportunity to sort out fine
points of people trying this for the very first time, so that it becomes
even more smooth the next time.  Nonetheless, direct repository access is
not regular use, so some work needs to be invested by anyone embarking on
that as early adopter.

And it should definitely work with Cygwin as well: I am doing that myself
all the time.

 	Makarius