[isabelle-dev] push request (Sublist.thy)

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Dec 14 13:25:29 CET 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012, Dmitriy Traytel wrote:

> Stripping did not work (even on lxbroy10 with some older Mercurial).
> However, Johannes managed to apparently fix everything by doing a fresh
> clone, copying some files (such as hgrc) and adjusting permissions (cf.
> https://isabelle.in.tum.de/community/Reconstructing_the_Isabelle_repository).

This is a serious problem, not just in a technical sense.

Why is there again this diverging clone of important administrative
information?  So the community wiki is not about Isabelle community at
all, but to make administration harder by putting unreliable information
snippets on a virtual whiteboard.  It actually causes dis-unity not
com-unity.

When I did the re-cloning last time, I documented it explicitly in
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/rev/71136069089d see also
http://www.mail-archive.com/isabelle-dev@mailbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/msg02978.html

Our main tools for Isabelle development are the repistory and the
isabelel-dev mailing list.  I am not even a user of the Isabelle community
wiki, and will not maintain all this divergence of clones.

We probably also need to rethink the hosting problem of the conventional
push-area for the central clone of the Isabelle reposity.  A single
dropout every 2 years would be acceptable, but not several times in 1
year.  Maybe there is a chance to discuss it with Franz Huber next week,
and a solution without home-made servers.  Otherwise we need an external
hosting service, which is relatively easy.  It will be reletively hard to
sort out the administrative structure, though, since we are still stuck in
the "everybody is root" paradigm stemming from CVS 1.0.

 	Makarius