[isabelle-dev] Repository and Wiki [was: push request (Sublist.thy)]

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Sat Dec 15 11:32:02 CET 2012

Hi all,

>> I would like to add that there is also the config_tum repository, which Florian created when he wanted administrative information neither in the Wiki nor in the public Isabelle repository. I probably would have looked there (as it contains some mira administration info), but never in the Isabelle repository.
>
> It is some minor progress to have such things that were outside any repository in a second repository that is not the Isabelle one.  At least it is a proper repository, not a virtual whiteboard.  The status of that project is unknown to me nonetheless, and we have still many edits of shared Unix directories where nobody really know what is or was happening at some point.

I started this repository for two reasons:

* I had to cleanup the webserver configuration and needed proper versioning.

* I wanted to discover ways to maintain documentation in a lightweigth
fashion apt to versioning.

Concerning wikis in general, since over one year I do not consider
mediawiki the tool of choice for our purpose.  It requires massive
infrastructure, its format is a sink (only mediawiki can parse
mediawiki), and is hopelessly tied to a RDMS backend which is useless
until the number of your users grows beyond, say, 10 in a minute (just
to give a figure).  If a wiki frontend seems critical, as of today I
would recommend something like Gitit http://gitit.net/, which uses hg or
git as backend, with all benefits like easy integration into versioning
infrastructure, usable without frontend etc.

Concerning the status of the config_tum repository, it was meant as a
starter.  Honestly, already the cleanup of the webserver configuration
did stretch beyond the role I am able to play with limited resource and
unreliable availability.  The implicit hope was that it would turn out
useful that people involved in administrative processes at TUM would
continue to assimiliate stuff into it.

Cheers,
	Florian

--